Australia’s only operational mint for 42 years.
After much agitation, in 1869 it was agreed that a branch of the UK Royal Mint would be established in Melbourne to produce gold coinage. Construction began at the corner of William and LaTrobe Streets in 1869 with plans designed by J.J. Clarke. The Mint opened in June 1872, although it did not receive responsibility for minting Australian coins until 1916. With the closure of the Sydney Mint in 1926, the Melbourne Mint became the only operational Mint in Australia. The Mint ceased operations in 1968. The Coin Halls behind the Melbourne Mint were demolished in 1970, leaving only the administration building and two gatehouses standing.